Interested in a career as an art therapist? Learn about Art Therapist Job Description, including duties and responsibilities. Have you ever wondered what it takes to be an art therapist? Art therapists are specialized professionals who work with individuals, families, and groups to use art as a form of therapy. They combine their knowledge of traditional psychotherapy with the creative process of art making to assist in the healing process. Read on as we explore the career of an art therapist, including job responsibilities, duties, salary & requirements.
Responsibilities of an Art Therapist
An art therapist’s primary responsibility is to provide therapeutic services using creative activities such as drawing, painting, sculpting, and more. The goal is to help clients express themselves creatively in order to gain insight into their emotions and mental state. Other duties may include providing individualized treatment plans for clients; developing activities that promote self-expression; and leading group sessions that can help foster trust between members.
In addition to providing direct services, art therapists may also be responsible for recordkeeping and documentation tasks. This includes keeping detailed notes about sessions; tracking progress towards goals; completing assessments; and maintaining client records in accordance with legal requirements.
Salary & Requirements
The salary for an art therapist depends on the region they are practicing in and the type of institution they are working for (i.e., hospital vs private practice). Additionally, some states require licensure or certification for those looking to become an art therapist—although there is no single federal standard for licensure or certification at this time.
Generally speaking, most potential employers will require applicants have a bachelor’s degree in psychology or related field as well as experience working with clients using creative mediums such as painting or drawing.
Art Therapist Job Description
We are an art therapy studio that provides a creative and supportive space for people of all ages to explore their emotions and heal from trauma. We are looking for an experienced art therapist to join our team and help our clients achieve their therapeutic goals.
- The art therapist will provide individual and group therapy to clients of all ages using a variety of modalities, including but not limited to painting, drawing, sculpture, and mixed media.
- The therapist will create treatment plans for each client based on their specific needs and goals.
- They will collaborate with other members of the treatment team to ensure that each client is receiving the best possible care.
- The therapist will maintain accurate clinical documentation and participate in weekly supervision meetings.
- Some evening and weekend availability may be required.
The Successful Applicant:
- Masters or Doctoral degree in Art Therapy from an accredited program
- Registered as an ATR with the Art Therapy Credentials Board
- Licensed as an LMHC, LCSW, or Psychologist in the state of New York
- 3+ years of experience providing individual and group therapy within a clinical setting
- Strong knowledge of evidence-based practices in art therapy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This is a full time position with benefits including health insurance, paid time off, and professional development opportunities. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Creative Arts Therapist Job Description
We are a market leader in the field of creative arts therapies. With a global network of over 150 therapists, they are dedicated to providing the highest quality care to their clients. And looking for a qualified and experienced creative arts therapist to join their team.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for providing individual and group therapy to clients using a variety of modalities including art, music, and dance.
- They will also be responsible for conducting assessments, developing treatment plans, and documenting progress.
- Other duties include maintaining clinical records, collaborating with other members of the treatment team, and participating in continuing education and professional development activities.
The Successful Applicant:
- Must be a licensed creative arts therapist with at least 3 years of experience working with clients in a clinical setting
- Must have experience using a variety of modalities including art, music, and dance
- Must be proficient in assessment methods, treatment planning, and documentation procedures
- Excellent communication skills are essential
- This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader in the field of creative arts therapies. – Salary is negotiable depending on experience.
art music dance therapist job description
We are a world-renowned music school in the heart of New York City. Dedicated to providing the highest quality education to their students and have a long-standing reputation for excellence.
The art music dance therapist job description will include, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
- Provide individual and group therapy to students ages 3-18 who have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder or other developmental disabilities
- Use a variety of modalities, including music, art, and dance, to help students reach their full potential
- collaborate with parents, teachers, and other professionals to create individualized treatment plans for each student
- Keep detailed records of each student’s progress and update parents regularly on their child’s progress
The Successful Applicant:
- Master’s degree in Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Dance/Movement Therapy or related field
- Registered as an MTBC (Music Therapist Board Certified) by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) OR Registered as an ATR (Art Therapist Registered) by the Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB)
- Minimum of 2 years experience working with children with ASD or other developmental disabilities required
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills required
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required
This is a full time position requiring 40 hours per week. The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, 401k plan, etc.
Art Therapist Duties
We are a well-established and growing healthcare organization that provides high quality care to their patients. We are looking for an Art Therapist to join their team.
- The Art Therapist will provide individual and group art therapy services to patients.
- They will assess patient’s needs and develop treatment goals and plans in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
- The Art Therapist will provide interventions that are developmentally and culturally appropriate.
- They will also maintain clinical documentation and participate in case reviews as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Successful Applicant:
- Master’s degree in Art Therapy from an accredited program
- Registered or board certified with the ATCB or NBCC
- Two years of experience working as an Art Therapist preferred but not required
- Must be licensed or license eligible in the state of practice
This is a full time, permanent position that offers a competitive salary and benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, and retirement savings plan.
Art therapists provide invaluable services by helping people express themselves through creative activities such as painting or sculpting so they can gain insight into their emotions and mental state. If you’re interested in becoming an art therapist yourself, you should consider obtaining a bachelor’s degree in psychology or related field along with experience working with clients using creative mediums such as painting or drawing—and depending on where you live you may need some form of certification or licensure too! Art therapy offers a unique opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives while doing something you love—so why not give it a go?