Are you considering becoming an associate professor? and want Associate Professor Job Description sample? Associate professors are the cornerstone of any university or college. They play a key role in educating students, conducting research, and maintaining the academic environment of their institution. If you’d like to learn more about what it takes to become an associate professor, read on! We’ll discuss job responsibilities, duties, salary, and requirements.
Job Responsibilities Of An Associate Professor
- The Associate Professor Job Description include teaching classes, conducting research studies, and supervising students’ projects. Associate professors must also attend faculty meetings, participate in departmental committees, and write papers for publication in scholarly journals.
- Additionally, they may have administrative duties such as chairing committees or overseeing student disciplinary proceedings.
- In order to teach at universities or colleges effectively, associate professors must be up-to-date on their field’s knowledge and trends in order to stay current with their teaching methods and material.
Duties Of An Associate Professor
- In addition to teaching classes, associate professors have many other duties that contribute to the success of their institution.
- They may be responsible for advising undergraduate or graduate students on their curriculum selections and providing assistance with research projects.
- Some institutions may require them to serve as mentors for new faculty members or oversee student organizations and activities.
- Furthermore, they may need to coordinate special events such as conferences or symposiums at their school or within their department.
- This can involve seeking out potential speakers or collaborators from other schools or industries.
Salary & Requirements For An Associate Professor
- As far as salary goes, associate professors typically make between $50K – $120K per year depending on experience level and location..
- In order to become an associate professor at a college or university you must have a doctorate degree in your field plus several years of experience either teaching classes at the postsecondary level or conducting research studies.
- Depending on where you work you may need additional qualifications such as specialized certifications or memberships in professional organizations related to your area of study.
Associate Professor Job Description
We are a highly respected institution of higher learning that has been educating students for over 150 years. we are located in the heart of a major metropolitan city and enroll over 30,000 students annually. Our school is made up of 12 colleges and schools and offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in a wide range of disciplines.
The Associate Professor will be responsible for teaching courses in their area of expertise, conducting research and publishing scholarly work, advising students, and providing service to the university and community. In addition, the Associate Professor will be expected to participate in departmental governance and committees as needed.
- Teach courses in areas of expertise at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Conduct research leading to publication in scholarly journals
- Advise students on coursework and career paths
- Serve on departmental committees and participate in departmental governance
- Provide service to the university through committee work or other volunteer opportunities
The Successful Applicant:
- A terminal degree in their field from an accredited institution (Ph.D., EdD, MD, JD) required
- A minimum of five years of experience teaching at the college level is required; experience teaching online courses is preferred but not required
- A strong record of scholarship with evidence of ongoing research activity is required; previous publication is preferred but not required
- Evidence of effective student advisement is preferred but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity & inclusion preferred but not required
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds is preferred but not required
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications & experience
- Full benefits package including health insurance & retirement plan
- Generous vacation & sick leave policy
Clinical Assistant Professor Job Description
We are the leading research universities in the world. Our Department of Biology offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs, including a Ph.D. program in Biological Sciences.
The department has over 40 full-time faculty members and is located on the main campus of the university in a state-of-the-art facility that includes classrooms, offices, laboratories, and greenhouses.
The Department of Biology at the University of XYZ is seeking to fill a tenure-track position at the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2020. This is a 9-month appointment with an annual salary of $60,000 plus benefits.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching introductory biology courses for majors and nonmajors as well as upper-level courses in their area(s) of expertise. In addition, the successful candidate will advise students, participate in departmental service activities, and develop an externally funded research program involving undergraduates.
The Successful Applicant:
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in hand by August 1, 2020, in an area relevant to teaching introductory biology courses such as cell/molecular biology or physiology; experience teaching large lecture courses is preferred but not required.
- Evidence of excellence in undergraduate teaching as well as scholarly productivity appropriate for a newly hired assistant professor also is required. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience..
- This is a 9-month appointment with an annual salary starting at $60,000 plus benefits which include health insurance and retirement savings plan contributions
Research Assistant Professor Job Description
We are a public research university located in the heart of XYZ city. Our university is home to more than 20,000 students from all 50 states and over 100 countries. The University of XYZ is committed to research, teaching, and service that advances the frontiers of knowledge and benefits society.
- Serve as a tenure-track faculty member in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the University of XYZ.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Chemistry & Biochemistry.
- Maintain an internationally recognized program of independent research in synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on catalysis, organometallic chemistry, or materials science.
- Publish scholarly work in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at national and international conferences.
- Seek external funding for research from federal agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF) or the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Serve on departmental, college, and university committees as needed.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students working in your area(s) of expertise.
The Successful Applicant:
- Ph.D. degree in Synthetic Chemistry or a related field; postdoctoral experience preferred but not required
- Ability to develop an internationally recognized program of independent research; commitment to excellence in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Ability to seek external funding for research; strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with colleagues, students, staff, and administrators; ability to work collaboratively within a diverse community.
- This is a full-time tenured/tenure track position that comes with a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Commensurate with qualifications & experience including relocation assistance if needed.
Assistant Professor Job Description
We are a private university that emphasizes undergraduate teaching. The school has an enrollment of about 5,000 students, with a student/faculty ratio of about 15:1. The average class size is 20 students. Our university offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees in a variety of disciplines.
- Teach assigned courses in the department which may include day, evening, weekend, off-campus or online classes
- Develop and revise course content and syllabi as needed
- Assess student learning outcomes and revise courses as needed to improve student success rates
- Advise and mentor students regarding their academic progress and career goals
- Participate in departmental governance including but not limited to attending departmental meetings, serving on committees, etc.
- Serve on university committees at the request of the Dean or Provost
- Engage in professional development activities to maintain current knowledge in the discipline and/or pedagogy
- Foster a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion within the classroom and throughout interactions with students, colleagues and community members
The Successful Applicant will have:
- A Ph.D. or terminal degree in the discipline OR equivalent experience required
- Evidence of successful college-level teaching required
- This is a 9-month faculty appointment with the possibility for renewal based on job performance review.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications & experience
- Benefits package includes health insurance & retirement savings plan
Becoming an associate professor is a great way for those passionate about education and research to make a difference in the lives of others while earning a good salary along the way! The job responsibilities are varied but rewarding with plenty of opportunities for growth both professionally and personally due to the variety required by this position.
To qualify for this role you will need both advanced degrees related to your field plus several years of experience working in academia. If you think becoming an associate professor is right for you then start researching today! Learn more about Associate Professor Job Description.