Looking for City Planner Job Description? Look no further because in this blog, we will share City Planner Job Description. City planners play an important role in the development and well-being of cities. They are responsible for creating plans and strategies that will promote economic growth and improve the quality of life within a city. By understanding the needs of citizens, analyzing data, and communicating with stakeholders, city planners help to ensure that cities remain safe and prosperous places to live. Look at City Planner Job Description, Roles, and duties.
Job Description & Responsibilities
City planners are responsible for making decisions that will benefit the community as a whole. This involves researching economic trends, assessing environmental impacts, analyzing land use patterns, and consulting with stakeholders.
They also create detailed reports on their findings and present them to decision-makers in order to influence policy direction. In addition to research duties, city planners often participate in public meetings and provide guidance on zoning regulations or other issues related to urban planning.
Duties & Requirements
City planners must be able to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds. It is essential for them to have strong interpersonal skills so that they can effectively communicate their ideas and collaborate with others on projects. They must also possess strong analytical skills in order to assess data collected from their research activities.
Furthermore, city planners should have a thorough understanding of local laws and regulations related to land use planning as well as an ability to think critically when it comes to making decisions about the future of a city.
City planner salaries vary depending on experience level and location. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a city planner is $53k per year with salaries ranging from $35k – $87k per year. The highest-paid city planner positions can be found in New York ($85k per year) followed by California ($70k per year). With experience levels increasing over time, salaries are expected to rise accordingly as well since more complex tasks require higher levels of expertise and knowledge.
City Planner Job Description
The Department of City Planning is responsible for the planning and development of the City of Los Angeles. The department provides leadership, coordination, and technical assistance to community members, developers, city departments, and elected officials regarding land use, zoning, public facilities, housing opportunities and environmental issues. The department also initiates studies that analyze trends affecting the built environment and recommends policies to ensure a livable city for all Angelenos.
- Serve as project manager on a variety of planning projects including General Plan updates, community plans, special studies, and code amendments
- Prepare staff reports and other written materials related to projects
- Present projects to the public at community meetings and hearings before decision-making bodies
- Manage consultants retained to work on specific planning projects
- Perform research on land use regulations, demographic trends, economic conditions, housing needs etc.
- Stay abreast of new planning methods and technology applications through professional development activities such as attending conferences or webinars
The Successful Applicant:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban or regional planning or a related field is required; a master’s degree in urban or regional planning from an accredited institution is preferred
- At least three years’ experience working as a professional planner in the public sector is required; experience managing consultants is preferred
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint; GIS skills are desired but not required
This position offers competitive salary DOE/DOQ plus excellent benefits which include membership in the CalPERS retirement system (2% at 55 for Classic members; 2% at 62 for PEPRA members), health insurance choices – HMO & PPO plans – dental coverage options vision care plan life insurance choice long term disability insurance 12 paid holidays per year accruals vacation & sick leave.
Town Planner Job Description
We are a national, integrated planning and design consultancy. We specialize in the delivery of high-quality, sustainable solutions across the built environment and natural resources sectors. Our company has been operating for over 50 years and employs in excess of 400 staff nationally, with offices located in all Australian states.
- Providing strategic town planning input into a range of new development projects across Australia
- Undertaking feasibility studies, due diligence investigations and site analysis
- Preparing development applications, rezonings, precinct plans and masterplans
- Coordinating external consultants and preparing reports to support project approvals
- Liaising with government authorities, community groups and other stakeholders
- Managing small teams of planners on individual projects as required
- Carrying out research and keeping up to date with changes to planning policy frameworks that may impact future projects
- Mentoring more junior members of the team when required.
The Successful Applicant:
To be successful in this role you will need to possess the following skills & attributes:
- Hold tertiary qualifications in Town Planning or a related discipline;
- Be register or eligible for registration as a Professional Planner with SPA;
- Possess strong report writing skills along with excellent verbal communication abilities;
- Have strong stakeholder management skills coupled with an ability to build positive relationships both internally and externally;
- Demonstrate experience working on large-scale residential/commercial/mixed-use developments;
- Be able to work autonomously as well as part of a team;
- Full working rights within Australia.
Offer Details: What’s on offer? An attractive salary package will be negotiated to secure the services of the successful candidate. This role presents an opportunity to join one of Australia’s most reputable names in property who are experiencing significant growth currently. If you have the relevant skillset and are looking for your next challenge then please apply today!
Assistant Town Planner Job Description
We are a market leader in the development and manufacture of specialist products. We are now recruiting for an Assistant Town Planner to work on a variety of residential, commercial and mixed-use developments across the South East.
Reporting to a Senior Town Planner, you will provide planning input into a range of applications including outline and full applications for both major and minor developments as well as providing support on appeals. You will also be required to undertake site visits, research and report writing along with maintaining strong client relationships. In addition, you will also contribute towards the team’s business development activities by assisting with proposals and tenders. There may also be an opportunity to attend public inquiries representing the company.
The Successful Applicant:
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in town planning (or similar) along with being Chartered or working towards Chartership through either RTPI or ICES. You should have strong technical skills along with experience of preparing planning applications for a variety of developments including major housing schemes. Exposure to the appeals process would be beneficial but not essential as training can be provided if required. Due to the nature of this role, it is essential that you live within commuting distance of Slough or alternatively have easy access via public transport links as there may occasionally be a requirement for office-based work where social distancing restrictions allow this to take place safely.
In return, we offer an excellent starting salary plus benefits which include
- car allowance/company car
- pension scheme
- the healthcare cash plan
- discretionary bonus plus much more!
City Planner Responsibilities
We are a small, but mighty town in the Midwest. We are looking for a city planner to help with the development and growth of their community. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a growing town and to make a difference in the lives of its residents.
- The city planner will be responsible for the development and implementation of the town’s comprehensive plan.
- They will also be responsible for zoning regulations, land use planning, and economic development initiatives.
- The city planner will work closely with the town’s elected officials, staff, and residents to ensure that the community’s vision is met.
- They will also be responsible for attending public meetings and hearings, as well as presenting information to various boards and commissions.
The Successful Applicant:
- A bachelor’s degree in urban planning or a related field is requires.
- A master’s degree is prefer.
- The successful applicant must have experience in zoning regulations, land use planning, and economic development initiatives.
- They must also have excellent communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with others.
- The salary for this position is negotiable depending on experience.
City planners play an integral role in shaping the future of cities by evaluating current conditions and creating plans for improvement. By understanding the needs of citizens and analyzing data-driven solutions, they provide valuable insight into how best to use the resources available in order create positive change within a community.
If you’re interested in becoming a city planner, you’ll need strong communication skills paired with analytical thinking ability. As well as an understanding of local laws pertaining to land use planning. All qualities which can lead you toward success!