Draftsmen are the unsung heroes of the architecture and engineering world, translating complex ideas into detailed technical drawings that bring structures to life. This blog contains some of the best Draftsman Job Description templates which are ready to use.
From towering skyscrapers to intricate machinery, draftsmen are responsible for ensuring the accuracy and feasibility of designs before they are brought to life. With an ever-increasing demand for their skills, now is the time to take a closer look at what it takes to be a successful draftsman.
In its simplest terms, a draftsman is a skilled professional who creates technical drawings that are used in the construction of buildings, machines, and other structures. These drawings must be precise, clear, and accurate, and they must take into account all relevant factors, including construction materials, building codes, and safety requirements.
Draftsmen use a variety of tools and techniques, including computer-aided design (CAD) software, to create their drawings and to collaborate with architects, engineers, and other professionals. Whether working in a large design firm or as a freelance consultant, draftsmen play an essential role in bringing ideas to life.
Responsibilities Of a Draftsman
A draftsman’s job responsibilities vary depending on the specific industry they work in. However, there are some common duties that all draftsmen perform on a regular basis, including:
- Creating detailed 2D and 3D drawings using CAD software
- collaborating with architects, engineers, and other construction professionals
- ensuring that all drawings meet applicable codes and regulations
- modifying existing drawings as needed
- keeping up with new technologies and software updates
- presenting drawings to clients for approval
- maintaining accurate records of all drawings
Qualifications & Skills Required For a Draftsman
- Most employers require candidates for draftsman positions to have at least an associate’s degree in drafting or a related field.
- However, some positions may only require a high school diploma or equivalent.
- In addition to formal education, most employers also require applicants to have previous experience with CAD software and other relevant technologies.
- Other key qualifications and skills that employers look for include:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Below is a list of CAD software that employers commonly look for when hiring new draftsmen
Salary & Job Outlook Of a Draftsman
The average salary for draftsmen is $55,550 per year ($26.68 per hour), according to the U.S.
Draftsman Job Description
We are a market leader in the food and beverage industry. We are a global company with over 150 employees and are looking for a Draftsman to join our team. This is a remote based role with a competitive salary.
- The Draftsman will be responsible for creating drawings and illustrations for our client’s food and beverage products.
- They will work closely with the design team to ensure that the products meet our client’s specifications.
- The Draftsman will also be responsible for ensuring that the products are compliant with all relevant regulations.
- In addition, they will provide support to the sales team by creating marketing materials and presentations.
The Successful Applicant:
- Must have experience working as a draftsman in the food and beverage industry.
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD or another similar software program.
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Must be detail oriented and have excellent time management skills.
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits package
- 401k + match
Draftsperson job description
We are a well-established engineering and construction firm who specializes in commercial, institutional, and industrial projects. We are looking for a Draftsperson to join our team in Toronto.
- Prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect
- Revise drawings and plans to accommodate changes recommended by engineer, architect, or client
- Coordinate the work of subcontractors who install systems
- Select tools, materials, or equipment needed to perform tasks
- Follow safety rules when using chemicals or working with power tools
- Use computer assisted drafting (CAD) equipment or conventional drafting station to produce designs, plans, maps, sketches or layouts
The Successful Applicant:
- Certification as an Architectural Technician (CAT) from a Canadian province or territory
OR certification as a Certified Technician (CTech) OR Registered Technologist (RTech) through the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA), along with
- Two years of experience performing the duties of a draftsperson is required
- Experience with AutoCAD is required
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word and Excel
- Permanent full time position – Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5pm
- Salary range $50k – 60k per year depending on experience
- Benefits package available after 3 months probationary period
- Located in Downtown Toronto
Mechanical draftsman job description
We are a leading engineering and design firm specializing in the oil and gas industry. We are currently seeking a Mechanical Drafter to join our team.
- The Mechanical Drafter will be responsible for creating 2D and 3D drawings of mechanical equipment, assemblies, and systems.
- He or she will also be responsible for maintaining accurate records of all designs and revisions.
- In addition, the Mechanical Drafter will provide input on design changes and modifications.
- Other duties include attending meetings with clients and engineers, as well as providing support during the construction phase of projects.
The Successful Applicant:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Mechanical Drafter is required.
- Strong AutoCAD skills are essential. Revit experience is preferred but not required.
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints is also required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary, as well as strong attention to detail.
- Competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience
Civil draftsman job description
We are a national leader in the engineering and construction industry. We are looking for a Civil Draftsperson to join our team in Brisbane. This is an excellent opportunity to work on some of Australia’s largest and most iconic projects.
- Prepare drawings using computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Liaise with clients, engineers, and other professionals to gather project requirements
- Modify existing drawings to reflect changes in the project scope or specifications
- Ensure that all drawings comply with relevant codes and regulations
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of CAD software and technologies
The Successful Applicant:
- Certificate or diploma in drafting or a related field
- Experience using CAD software (e.g. AutoCAD, Revit)
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Competitive salary package + superannuation
If you’re looking for a career in drafting, this overview should give you a good idea of what the profession entails. Of course, every employer is different, so be sure to check out specific job postings in order to get a better sense of what each potential employer is looking for in terms of qualifications and skills. And if you’re already working as a draftsman but are looking to further your career, consider pursuing an advanced degree or certification in drafting or engineering. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve success in this rewarding field.