A food handler is an essential part of the food service industry, ensuring all safety standards and regulations are met, while keeping customers satisfied with the quality of their meals. Whether you’re looking to become a food handler or simply curious about what the job entails, this article will break down everything you need to know About Food Handler Job Description.
Job Description & Responsibilities of a Food Handler
- The primary role of a food handler is to ensure that all foods are handled in accordance with health and safety regulations.
- This includes prepping ingredients, controlling stock levels, cleaning and sanitizing kitchen equipment, storing and rotating product properly, adhering to temperature control standards for both hot and cold items, and more.
- It also involves preparing ingredients for menu items like salads, sandwiches, pizzas, etc., as well as assisting in packaging orders for delivery or takeout.
- Additionally, food handlers must maintain a clean workspace at all times.
Requirements & Qualifications of a Food Handler.
- To become a food handler it is important that you have some knowledge of basic cooking principles as well as basic understanding of health and safety legislation relating to the preparation and handling of food.
- It is also important that you have strong organizational skills so that you can keep up with stock levels and order forms accurately at all times.
- It is also necessary that you have great customer service skills so that patrons feel welcomed in your restaurant or café environment when they enter it.
- For those wanting to work in higher-end establishments such as hotels or catering companies then often extra qualifications are needed such as certifications from accredited institutions or even experience within kitchen teams before being accepted into these roles.
Salary & Benefits for Food Handlers
The salary range for food handlers varies depending on location and experience level but typically ranges from minimum wage up to around $15 per hour (or more).
As well as salary there may be additional benefits such as discounts on meals or tips from customers depending on where the job is located good job growth prospects due to increased demand within the hospitality industry which should open up more opportunities for career advancement over time.
Food Handler Job Description
We are a market leader in the foodservice industry, with a comprehensive range of products and services for restaurants, caterers and other foodservice businesses. We are currently looking for a Food Handler to join our team.
- The Food Handler will be responsible for handling and preparing food in accordance with health and safety regulations.
- They will also be responsible for keeping the work area clean and tidy at all times.
- Other duties will include stocking shelves and rotating stock.
- The successful candidate will have previous experience working in a similar role. They must also be able to work well under pressure and have a keen eye for detail.
The Successful Applicant:
- Previous experience working in a similar role
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Keen eye for detail
- Good communication skills
- Physically fit as this role involves lifting heavy boxes
- Compensation is DOE
Food Service Handler Job Description
A food service handler is responsible for preparing and serving food in a restaurant. We also be responsible for cleaning the kitchen and dining area. A food service handler may work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, schools, and prisons.
- Prepare food according to recipes or menu items
- Serve food to customers
- Clean the kitchen and dining area
- Maintain inventory of supplies
- Adhere to health and safety guidelines
The Successful Applicant:
- Must be able to follow instructions carefully
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently
- Must be able to lift heavy objects
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Salary will be based on experience
Duties and Responsibilities of Food Handler
A food handler is someone who works in the food service industry and is involved in the preparation, cooking, or serving of food. Food handlers must take care to avoid contamination of food with bacteria, viruses, or other organisms that can cause illness.
- Food handlers must wash their hands thoroughly and often, especially after using the restroom and before handling food.
- They should also avoid touching their face, hair, or clothing while working.
- Gloves may be worn when handling ready-to-eat foods, but they should be changed often and not reused.
- Cutting boards and utensils should be washed between uses, and surfaces should be cleaned with a disinfectant solution regularly.
- Raw meat, poultry, fish, and eggs should be kept separate from other foods to prevent cross contamination.
- These items should also be cooked thoroughly to kill any harmful bacteria that may be present.
- Food handlers should report any symptoms of illness such as diarrhea or vomiting to their supervisor immediately.
The Successful Applicant will have:
- A passion for customer service
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Senior Food Handler Job Description
We are a rapidly growing foodservice company that provides fresh, healthy meals to schools and offices across the country. We are looking for an experienced food handler to join our team and help with the production of their meals.
- The senior food handler will be responsible for helping to prepare and cook meals according to recipes.
- They will also be responsible for keeping the kitchen clean and organized, as well as washing dishes and utensils.
- In addition, they will need to assist with unloading deliveries and stocking shelves.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working in a commercial kitchen and be able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
The Successful Applicant:
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- This is a full-time position
- Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm
- Salary is $15/hour
- Health benefits available after 3 months
Working as a food handler can be an incredibly rewarding experience if you have an interest in cooking or working within the hospitality industry.. Not only do you get to learn about new cuisine styles and techniques every day but you also get to develop important skills such as customer service skills which can be transferred into other areas of life too!
Additionally there are very competitive salaries available which means it can be quite lucrative if done right along with excellent job growth prospects due to increased demand within this sector over recent years. If this sounds like something you would enjoy doing then why not start researching now so that you can begin your journey towards becoming a professional food handler!