Are you looking for a fulfilling career in the great outdoors? Look no further than the role of a groundskeeper! In this blog we have provided some of the top Groundskeeper Job Description examples which will help you get on the right track.
As a groundskeeper, you will be responsible for maintaining the beauty and functionality of outdoor spaces. This includes tasks such as mowing lawns, planting flowers and trees, and maintaining sports fields and playgrounds. You will also be responsible for ensuring the safety of visitors by keeping walkways clear of debris and maintaining proper drainage. In addition to these hands-on tasks, you may also be responsible for budgeting, ordering supplies, and supervising staff.
This role is perfect for those who enjoy working with their hands and being outside. It also offers opportunities for creativity, as you will be responsible for creating and maintaining attractive outdoor spaces. If you are looking for a career that allows you to make a tangible impact in your community, a career as a groundskeeper may be right for you.
What Does a Groundskeeper Do?
- The duties of a groundskeeper vary depending on the employer, but generally speaking, groundskeepers are responsible for performing routine maintenance tasks to keep outdoor spaces looking their best.
- This may include mowing lawns, trimming hedges, watering plants, and removing debris.
- In some cases, groundskeepers may also be responsible for more specialized tasks such as aerating soil or operating power equipment.
- Most groundskeepers work full time, and their hours may vary depending on the season. For example, those who work in parks may have to start their days earlier in the summer to beat the heat.
- In general, though, groundskeepers can expect to work standard Monday through Friday business hours.
Job Requirements Of a Groundskeeper
There is no formal education requirement for becoming a groundskeeper; however,
- Most employers prefer to hire candidates who have at least a high school diploma or GED.
- In some cases, experience working in customer service or landscaping may also be helpful.
- As far as skills go, groundskeepers should be physically fit and able to perform manual labor tasks such as lifting heavy objects and bending down frequently.
- They should also have basic math skills since they will often be responsible for measuring areas of land.
- Finally, groundskeepers should be able to follow instructions well and work independently with minimal supervision.
Salary Expectations Of a Groundskeeper
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for Grounds Maintenance Workers was $27,050 in 2019.*
- Salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience level and geographical location. For example, those who work in major metropolitan areas tend to earn more than those who work in smaller towns.
Groundskeeper Job Description
We are a market leader in the grounds keeping industry, with a strong commitment to providing quality services. We are looking for an experienced Groundskeeper to join our team.
- The Groundskeeper will be responsible for maintaining the grounds of the property, including mowing lawns, trimming hedges and bushes, and removing debris.
- They will also be responsible for watering plants and flowers, as well as performing general maintenance tasks such as fixing fences and gates.
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience working as a groundskeeper or similar role.
- They must be able to work independently and have a valid driver’s license.
- The ability to operate small machinery such as mowers and trimmers is preferred but not required.
Groundsman job description
We are a market leader in the grounds maintenance industry, with a strong reputation for delivering high quality services to our clients. We are looking for an experienced Groundsman to join our team.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for the upkeep of the grounds at our client’s premises.
- This will include mowing lawns, trimming hedges, and generally keeping the area tidy.
- The role also involves occasional manual labor, such as moving heavy equipment or wheelbarrows full of soil.
- It is important that the groundsman is able to work well independently, as they will often be required to do so.
- However, they must also be able to take direction from senior members of staff when necessary.
- The ability to use gardening machinery such as ride-on mowers would be beneficial but is not essential.
The Successful Applicant:
- Proven experience working as a groundsman or in a similar role
- Ability to work independently and take direction when necessary
- Strong physical fitness levels
- Full driving license preferred but not essential
- Salary negotiable depending on experience
- Onsite parking available
- Full time permanent contract
Job description gardener and groundskeeper
We are a well-established company who provide gardening and groundskeeping services to both domestic and commercial customers. We are looking for an experienced gardener to join our team on a full-time basis.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Mowing lawns and trimming edges
- Planting flowers, shrubs, and trees
- Pruning and shaping plants
- Digging holes and preparing soil for planting
- Raking leaves and clearing debris
- Applying fertilizer, herbicides, and pesticides as needed
- Watering plants and grass areas
- Checking irrigation systems to ensure they are functioning properly
- Repairing garden tools and equipment as needed
Apartment groundskeeper job description
We are a property management company are looking for an Apartment Groundskeeper to join their team! Our company owns and operates multiple residential properties in the area. This is a great opportunity for someone with previous experience in groundskeeping or landscaping who is looking to join a stable and growing company.
- Maintain the grounds of the property, including mowing lawns, trimming hedges, and raking leaves
- Water plants and flowers as needed
- Pick up trash and litter around the property
- Clean common areas such as the pool area, clubhouse, and laundry room on a daily basis
- Assist with snow removal in winter months
- Report any maintenance issues to the Property Manager
The Successful Applicant:
- Previous experience in grounds keeping or landscaping preferred but not required
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must have a valid driver’s license and own transportation
- Full-time position with benefits including health insurance and 401k
- Salary based on experience