A patternmaker is a highly skilled professional who uses their knowledge of mathematics, engineering, and design to create patterns used in the manufacture of clothing, automotive parts, and other objects. In this blog we have provided some of the top Patternmaker Job Description templates which will help you get on the right track.
Patternmakers must have a strong understanding of the properties of various materials and how they will respond to various manufacturing processes. In addition, patternmakers must be able to create patterns that are both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
Patternmakers typically work in one of two types of environments: design studios or factories. Design studios are typically small businesses that cater to a specific clientele. Factory settings are usually much larger and more production-oriented. In either setting, patternmakers usually work regular business hours; however, they may occasionally need to work overtime to meet deadlines.
Patternmaker Job Description & Responsibilities
- Interpreting design sketches and specifications to create patterns that meet the requirements of the design.
- Drafting patterns using computer-aided design (CAD) software or by hand.
- Cutting out fabric samples from the created patterns to use in fittings.
- Modifying patterns based on feedback from fitters or designers.
- Creating prototypes of garments or other objects using the final patterns.
- Maintaining detailed records of all pattern modifications.
- Assisting less experienced patternmakers with complex tasks.
Patternmaker Roles and Duties
- Studying sketches, manuals, blueprints, or photographs to determine dimensions of garment or object.
- Comparing various sketches, specifications, or photographs to select best possible design
- Selecting fabrics and trims
- Constructing running stitches by hand or machine
- Fitting garment on model or dress form
- Making adjustments as necessary during fittings
- Supervising staffs engaged in creating prototypes
- Judging fashion trends in order to forecast which garments will soon be outdated
- Collaborating with fellow designers during fittings
- Consulting with clients during fittings Appraising quality control inspectors
- Adjusting imperfections
- Maintaining detailed records of all steps involved in each project
- Presenting new ideas during team meetings Maintaining knowledge of innovations in textile industry
- Completing all work within required deadlines
Salary for a Patternmaker:
- The median annual wage for a patternmaker is $32,490.
- The lowest 10 percent earn less than $22,610, and the highest 10 percent earn more than $54,980
Patternmaker Job Description
We are a prestigious atelier that specializes in couture garments. We are looking for an experienced and passionate Patternmaker to join our team.
- You will be responsible for creating patterns for garments using CAD software, as well as developing prototypes of garments.
- You will work closely with the design team to ensure that patterns are created accurately according to specifications.
- You will also be responsible for maintaining pattern archives and keeping up to date with new developments in patternmaking software.
The Successful Applicant:
- Must have a strong background in patternmaking, with experience using CAD software.
- Must be able to work accurately and efficiently under pressure.
- Must be a team player with good communication skills.
- Salary is negotiable and dependent on experience
Foundry pattern maker job description
We are a metal foundry that has been in business for over 100 years. As we are a family-owned business that takes pride in our work and products. We are looking for an experienced Foundry Pattern Maker to join our team.
- The Foundry Pattern Maker will be responsible for creating and repairing wooden patterns used to cast metal parts.
- He or she will use hand tools, power tools, and machines to create patterns from drawings or models provided by the customer.
- The Foundry Pattern Maker will also be responsible for repairing damaged patterns and modifying existing patterns to meet the customer’s changing needs.
- He or she must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
The Successful Applicant:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a foundry pattern maker is required.
- Experience working with woodworking machinery is required.
- Experience working with metals is preferred but not required.
- The ability to read blueprints and sketches is required.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
- Compensation will be based on experience
- Health insurance, paid vacation, and 401k offered after 90 days
Fabric and apparel patternmakers job description
We are a leading provider of end-to-end product development solutions. As we provide complete design, engineering and manufacturing services to take products from concept through delivery. We serve a wide range of clients in the automotive, aerospace, medical device, consumer goods and other industries.
The fabric and apparel patternmakers job description will include but not be limited to the following responsibilities:
- Work with designers and merchandisers to develop patterns for garments, using computerized drafting programs or by hand
- Fit muslin prototypes of garments on models or mannequins, making adjustments as necessary until desired fit is achieved
- Mark details onto muslin prototypes prior to cutting garment parts from fabrics
- Cut fabric parts for garment production according to approved patterns
The Successful Applicant:
To be successful in this role you will possess the following attributes:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a fabric and apparel patternmaker
- Proficiency in computerized drafting programs (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) as well as Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- This is a direct hire opportunity. Compensation will be based on experience.
- Our client offers an excellent benefits package that includes health insurance, 401k and more!
Patternmaker Job Description template
As a forward-thinking and innovative company, we are looking for a Patternmaker to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with experience in the industry to take on a new challenge and develop their career. The role will be based at our client’s headquarters near Slough.
- You will be responsible for the creation of patterns for garments, using computer aided design (CAD) software as well as manual methods.
- You will liaise with designers, garment technologists and buyers to ensure that patterns meet their requirements.
- You will create prototypes of garments, using mock-up fabrics, and make any necessary adjustments to patterns.
- You will also grade patterns to create different sizes of the same garment.
- In addition, you will maintain records of all pattern changes made during the development process.
The Successful Applicant:
- Proven experience as a Patternmaker
- Experience with CAD software (such as Optitex)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Creative thinker
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Competitive salary DOE
- Benefits package including private healthcare and pension
In conclusion, a Patternmaker plays a vital role in the fashion industry by creating the initial designs and patterns for garments. They use their skills in measuring, cutting, and sewing to bring the designer’s vision to life. It’s a challenging but rewarding job that requires creativity, attention to detail, and technical expertise. If you’re interested in learning more about this or other fashion industry jobs, be sure to check out our website for more job descriptions. We also invite you to leave comments below with any questions or thoughts you have about the role of a Patternmaker.