A service writer is a key position in maintaining a positive customer experience at a automotive service facility. The service writer is the primary point of contact between the customer and the technician. In this blog we have provided some of the best Service Writer Job Description samples to help you.
They are responsible for communicating the customer’s concerns to the technician, as well as relaying the technician’s diagnosis and repairs back to the customer. In addition to their customer service responsibilities, service writers are also responsible for managing the service department’s schedule, creating repair estimates, and handling billing and payments.
Education and Training Requirements
- Most employers require Service Writers to have at least a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Some employers may prefer or require candidates to have completed postsecondary coursework in business administration or management.
- Many employers provide on-the-job training to new Service Writers which typically lasts 1 to 2 months.
- During on-the-job training, new Service Writers learn about the facilities’ products, services, policies, and procedures.
- They also shadow experienced Service Writers and learn how to use the facilities’ scheduling and billing software.
Duties And Responsibilities Of A Service Writer
As previously mentioned, each automotive service facility may have slightly different expectations for their Service Writers but there are some duties and responsibilities that are common to all Service Writers regardless of where they work. These common duties and responsibilities include:
- When customers arrive at an automotive service facility, it is the Service Writer’s responsibility to greet them in a professional manner.
- The Service Writer is typically the first point of contact between the customer and the facility so it is important that they make a good impression.
- Needs And Concerns Once a customer has been greeted, the next step is for the Service Writer to determine what their specific needs and concerns are.
- This can be done through face-to-face conversation or by having the customer fill out a short questionnaire.
- Once their needs and concerns have been determined, it is then up to the Service Writer to relay this information to the technician who will be working on their vehicle.
- And Managing The Schedule Part of being a successful Service Writer is being organized and efficient.
- One way they can do this is by scheduling appointments for customers in a way that doesn’t overcrowd the technicians’ schedules.
- They should also be proactive in managing the schedule by making sure that no appointments are missed or double booked.
- In addition, they may also be responsible for rescheduling appointments if necessary due to unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather or technician absences.
Creating Repair Estimates
- After speaking with customers and technicians, Service Writers create repair estimates which outline what work needs to be done as well as how much it will cost.
- It is important that these estimates are accurate so that there are no surprises when it comes time for customers to pay their bill.
Service Writer Job Description
We are a market leader in the automotive industry, and we are looking for an experienced Service Writer to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to clients, as well as maintaining relationships with existing clients.
They will also be responsible for scheduling appointments and coordinating with the service department to ensure that all repairs are completed in a timely manner.
- Serve as the main point of contact between customers and the service department
- Schedule appointments and coordinate with the service department to ensure that all repairs are completed in a timely manner
- Maintain relationships with existing customers and provide excellent customer service to new clients
- Keep up to date on new products and services offered by the company
- Answer any questions that customers may have about the company’s products or services
The Successful Applicant:
- 3+ years of experience in customer service or a related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and positive attitude
- Ability to take initiative and adapt
- [Competitive salary + benefits package]
Automotive service writer job description
Our automotive service company has been in business for over 25 years. We are a well-established, family-owned business that takes pride in providing quality service to their customers. We are looking for an experienced automotive service writer to join our team
The automotive service writer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Greeting customers and scheduling appointments
- Writing up repair orders
- Communicating with customers regarding repairs and maintenance
- Upselling services and products
- Processing payments
- Maintaining cleanliness in the customer waiting area
- Other duties as assigned by management
The Successful Applicant:
In order to be successful in this role, the applicant must have the following qualifications:
- At least 2 years of experience working as an automotive service writer or similar role
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to upsell services and products
- Proficient in computer applications such as Microsoft Office Suite
- High school diploma or equivalent; associate’s degree preferred but not required
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
- This is a full-time position that offers competitive pay, health insurance, 401k, paid vacation days, and other benefits.
- The hours for this position are Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Marine service writer job description
We are a leading provider of marine services. We are looking for an experienced Marine Service Writer to join our team. The Marine Service Writer will be responsible for providing accurate and timely estimates for repairs and services, as well as maintaining strong relationships with customers. This is a great opportunity for an experienced Marine Service Writer to join a growing company.
- Provide accurate and timely estimates for repairs and services
- Maintain strong relationships with customers
- Understand customer needs and provide solutions
- Keep up to date on product changes and updates
- Assist in troubleshooting issues
- Other duties as assigned
The Successful Applicant:
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Marine industry experience preferred but not required High School Diploma or equivalent required, some college preferred Valid Driver’s License required
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen & background check
- Competitive salary based on experience Full benefits package including 401k, medical, dental, & vision Paid vacation & holidays
- Company provided training & development opportunities
Motorcycle service writer job description
We are a well-established, reputable motorcycle dealership in the heart of Los Angeles. As we have been in business for over 20 years and offer a wide range of services to our customers including sales, service, and parts. We are looking for an experienced motorcycle service writer to join our team
- Greet customers and schedule appointments for service work
- Write up repair orders and estimate costs for labor and parts
- Communicate with customers regarding repairs needed and estimated costs
- Follow up with customers after repairs are completed
- Monitor inventory of parts and order as needed
- Keep updated on new products and services offered by the dealership
The Successful Applicant:
- Must have at least 2 years of experience as a motorcycle service writer or similar role
- Must be knowledgeable about different types of motorcycles and their components
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written required
- This is a full-time position offering competitive pay based on experience, 401k plan, health insurance, paid vacation days, and paid holidays.
In conclusion, a Service Writer plays a vital role in the automotive industry by effectively communicating with customers and mechanics to ensure their vehicles are serviced correctly and efficiently. They are responsible for scheduling appointments, creating repair orders, and estimating costs for services. As a Service Writer, one must possess excellent communication and customer service skills, as well as knowledge of automotive repair processes.
We hope this article has provided you with a better understanding of the Service Writer job description. We encourage you to leave comments below and visit our site for more job descriptions and career-related information. Thank you for reading!