A surveyor is a professional who is responsible for measuring and mapping land. Surveyors use a variety of tools, including GPS equipment, leveling instruments, and total stations. In this blog we have provided some of the best Surveyor Job Description ideas which will help you succeed in your career.
Surveyors also use traditional surveying techniques, such as triangulation, to take measurements. In addition to taking measurements, surveyors also mark the boundary lines of property.
The specific responsibilities of a surveyor vary depending on the employer. However, there are some common duties that all surveyors perform. These duties include:
- Taking measurements of land using GPS equipment, leveling instruments, and total stations
- Conducting research to determine the best location for measurements to be taken
- Interpreting data to create maps and plans
- Marking boundary lines of property
- Keeping accurate records of all measurements and observations
- Assist in the preparation of reports detailing the results of surveys
In addition to taking measurements and marking property boundaries, surveyors also have other roles. These roles include:
- Providing advice to clients on the best way to develop their land
- Assisting in the planning of construction projects
- Acting as a witness in court cases involving property disputes
- Providing expert testimony in planning inquiries
- The salary of a surveyor depends on a number of factors, including experience, education, and location.
- In the United States, the average salary for a surveyor is $60,000 per year.
- However, salaries can range from $40,000 to $100,000 per year.
- The highest-paid surveyors are those who work in private companies or are self-employed.
Surveyor Job Description
We are a world-renowned property consultancy who are looking for a Surveyor to join our team in London. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with experience in the surveying industry to progress their career within a well-established company.
- As a Surveyor, you will be responsible for carrying out professional work in relation to a variety of property matters including valuations, lease renewals, rent reviews, and investment transactions.
- You will also have the opportunity to get involved in other aspects of the business such as marketing and business development.
- In addition to this, you will be required to undertake occasional travel as part of your role.
The Successful Applicant:
- The successful candidate will ideally have previous experience working as a Surveyor or in a similar role.
- They must also be able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness and have excellent communication skills.
- Furthermore, they must be willing to undertake occasional travel as part of their role.
- In return, our client is offering a competitive salary plus benefits (including bonus and pension).
Quantity surveyor job description
We are a leading provider of professional services to the construction industry with an impressive track record spanning over 50 years. We offer quantity surveying, project management, cost consultancy, strategic advisory, economic feasibility studies, due diligence reports and other specialist services. Our company has over 1,000 employees in 28 countries and are continuing to grow rapidly.
- As a Quantity Surveyor you will be responsible for providing commercial and contractual expertise on a wide range of construction projects
- You will be working closely with the project team to deliver the project within time, budget and to the required quality standards
- You will be responsible for preparing tenders and contracts
- You will undertake cost analysis for repair and refurbishment projects
- You will advising on procurement strategy
- You will identifying areas where cost savings can be made
The Successful Applicant:
- Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar discipline
- At least 3 years’ experience working as a Quantity Surveyor on construction projects
- Strong commercial awareness
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- In return our client is offering an excellent salary and benefits package which includes; car allowance, private healthcare, pension scheme and much more.
Land surveyor job description
We are a market leader in providing land surveying services. As we have been in business for over 50 years and are looking to add a Land Surveyor to our team. This is an excellent opportunity to join a company that values its employees and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Conducts field work for the purpose of gathering data relating to the shape, contour, location, elevation, dimensions, and other physical features of the earth’s surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes
- Searches legal records, deeds, plats, maps and other sources to obtain information about property boundaries
- Compiles all field notes and other data to prepare reports
- Analyzes survey evidence and recommends changes or modifications which will improve accuracy of surveys
- Uses GPS equipment to establish points on the ground
- Performs office work as required including drafting maps or reports using computer software
- May direct activities of subordinates engaged in surveying work
The Successful Applicant:
- BS in Surveying Engineering from an ABET accredited four year college or university required
- Licensed Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) preferred but not required
- 3+ years of experience conducting boundary surveys required
- Experience with Trimble GPS equipment preferred
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Full benefits package including health insurance and 401k
- Paid time off
Building surveyor job description
We are a national, multi-disciplinary property consultancy who provide a comprehensive range of services to both the public and private sector. Due to an increase in workload, we are seeking a Building Surveyor to join our team in London on a full-time, permanent basis.
- As the Building Surveyor, you will be responsible for undertaking projects within the commercial, residential and education sectors.
- Duties will include but are not limited to; project management, dilapidations, condition surveys, feasibility studies, contract administration and CDM Coordinator duties.
- You will also be required to undertake site visits when necessary.
The Successful Applicant:
- The successful candidate will ideally hold MRICS status or be working towards Chartered status via APC.
- You will have experience working as a Building Surveyor within a consultancy environment and have good technical knowledge across all aspects of building surveying including Dilapidations and Party Wall matters.
- It is essential that you have strong communication skills (both written and verbal) as you will be liaising with clients on a daily basis.
- Finally, it is essential that you hold a valid UK driving license as site visits are part of this role.
- In return, our client is offering an attractive salary (dependent on experience) plus benefits which include; bonus scheme, pension contribution, private healthcare and more!
In conclusion, being a surveyor requires a combination of technical skills, knowledge of mathematics and science, and strong communication and problem-solving abilities. Surveyors are responsible for collecting and analyzing data to determine the location, shape, and contour of land, as well as the dimensions and locations of buildings, structures, and other features on the land.
They use this information to create maps, plans, and reports that are used in a variety of applications, such as land development, construction, and environmental management. Surveyors work in a variety of settings, including the field and the office, and may specialize in areas such as geodetic surveying, hydrographic surveying, or photogrammetry.
Overall, being a surveyor requires a strong dedication to accuracy and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team.